Thanks to the tireless efforts of Teapot, we now have Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid optimized for the XO laptop! Teapot designed this release to be reliable and consistent with these modifications:
- Kernel is from OLPC release 8.2.0. USB boot fix in ramdisk is the only change that was applied to OLPC-distributed files.
- Ubuntu packages are properly identified as manually/automatically installed for easier customization, patched files are diverted, so package manager won't replace them on upgrades.
- Network Manager 0.7 is in Intrepid -- there is no need for custom repositories.
- clive package in Intrepid is also up to the latest version, so tubewatcher script is included without clive replacement.
- Firefox default configuration is adapted to screen resolution (larger fonts but no scaling for images), and libraries that come with xulrunner are replaced with ones that come with Firefox 3.0.4 release (for some reason libraries from xulrunner package occasionally replace images with noise).
- syslog is removed -- logging to SD or USB takes large amount of resources.
- Power management is by default enabled, "aggressive" power management mode that "invisibly" suspends on inactivity is by default disabled but can be enabled with sudo touch /etc/xo-suspend/aggressive and reboot, disabled with sudo rm /etc/xo-suspend/aggressive and reboot
- GTK theme is adapted to the changes in theme engines that come with Ubuntu -- it looks slightly better now, though differences are minimal.
- Splash screen is shown on boot and shutdown.
I will not pretend to understand all those modifications or install steps that Teapot talks about in the OLPC News Forum entry. I will only tease you with the idea of a Live SD Card available soon for those like me who want an easy and Open Source dual boot XO.