About OLPC News
OLPC News is the premier independent community for One Laptop Per Child supporters. We are a recognized voice in the OLPC community, even by Nicholas Negroponte himself.
- OLPC News commands 5,000 readers a day, each spending an average of 4 minutes on the site
- OLPC News Forum has over 4,000 members and 30,000 posts on every OLPC-related topic imaginable.
Yet, dear reader, you should know that the editors behind OLPC News are not objective reporters of the latest news. We are most definitely biased. We believe:
- Across the developing world, education systems need to change dramatically to prepare their children for the modern world
- Children (and adults) learn best when they are actively involved in the learning process
- Involved teachers, relevant content, and appropriate technology can facilitate both educational change and learning motivation
The One Laptop Per Child project is a sprawling initiative with immense potential to improve education on a global scale -- if implemented properly. We at OLPC News do our best to celebrate what is going right, question what is going wrong, and suggest what could be done better. Cute pictures of children with shiny new laptops don't keep us from asking tough questions.
The OLPC News editorial team (editor at olpcnews com) is:
Wayan Vota - Founder & Publisher
Wayan founded OLPC News in 2006 to track the One Laptop Per Child program from a technology implementer's perspective. Since then, he's started the complimentary OLPC Talks and OLPC News Forum, and was a co-founder of the OLPC Learning Club DC. He has commented on OLPC on 60 Minutes, the Economist, and numerous other mainstream media outlets. From his base in Washington, DC, Wayan also moderates the Educational Technology Debate.
Christoph Derndorfer - Editor
Christoph is a founding member of OLPC Austria and started contributing to OLPC News in early 2007. In 2009 he spent three months in Kathmandu to volunteer with OLE Nepal and in 2010 he traveled through Uruguay, Paraguay, and Peru to document the OLPC projects there. He has also held presentations about OLPC at various events and conferences in Europe, Latin America, and the United States. Christoph is currently a computer science student at Vienna University of Technology.
Yama Ploskonka - Senior Contributor
Yama's first computer was a ZX-Sinclair clone and made his own LOGO interpreter, and after a colorful career of many pursuits he has become an active member of OLPC Sur, the list for OLPC discussion in Spanish, among other OLPC-related activities. Yama's overall goal is QE4A, quality education for all.
Jon Camfield - Senior Contributor
Jon works to bring sustainability to technology deployments, after serving in the Caribbean with Peace Corps on IT projects. He worries about the contrast between the well-designed OLPC laptop and the un-designed implementation plans, which focus solely on deployment and not on encouraging adoption at the local level, as well as the cultural impacts of the laptop.
Bryan Berry - Co-Editor Emeritus
Bryan was a founding member Open Learning Exchange Nepal, the Nepali NGO that is implementing Nepal's OLPC pilots. Prior to Nepal, he worked on technology deployment for government agencies. He lives in Kathmandu, Nepal where he works on learning software.
OLPC News has an ever-expanding cadre of contributors and commenters.
- Apr 2 2014Join Us on Educational Technology Debate0
- Mar 18 2014Shutting down OLPC News16
- Mar 11 2014Goodbye One Laptop per Child33
- Dec 18 2012We Now Return to Our Regularly Scheduled Program...6
- Aug 12 2011OLPC News in the Post-Wayan Era3
- Aug 5 2011OLPC News at 5 Years - A Time for Transition10
- Jun 29 2010Announcing the OLPC News South America Road-trip4
- Apr 26 2010Join OLPC News on Facebook!0
- Dec 12 2009Get your OLPC News fix via RSS, Email, or Twitter0
- Oct 8 2009OLPC News 3 Years Later: I Failed, We Succeeded18
- Sep 23 2009Yamaplos, a new OLPC News co-Editor2
- Nov 25 2008Welcome to OLPC News Website Upgrade!14
- Nov 19 2008Subscribe to OLPC News via RSS, Email or Twitter!0
- Jun 16 2008OLPC News Editorial Staff5
- May 29 2008Tweet! Tweet! olpc news now on Twitter6
- May 19 2008OLPC Enters the "Post 1CC" Era16
- May 19 2008Wayan Vota, ex-Editor of OLPC News33
- Jan 22 2008You Can BETT on a Guest Post Happy Ending!13
- Jan 13 2008OLPC News Conspiracy Theories - Debunked17
- Jan 13 2008OLPC News Conspiracy Theories6
- Dec 4 2007Spread the One Laptop Word: Write for OLPC News Today!4
- Aug 29 2007OLPC News One Year Anniversary5
- May 28 2007Why I Contribute to OLPC News11
- May 16 2007About OLPC News (the Refresher Post)2
- May 12 2007OLPC News Core: Contributors and Commenters4
- Jan 24 2007OLPC News Welcomes New Contributors and Guest Writers3
- Dec 31 2006A New Year's Resolution: Write for OLPC News18
- Sep 11 2006About One Laptop Per Child News3
- Aug 14 2006Website Name Change - OLPC News0
XO Tablets for Sale
Buy Your XO Tablet on Amazon.com
OLPC is selling the new XO Tablets on Amazon.com for just $149. Buy yours today!