At last month's OLPC Learning Club DC meeting, I talked with Luke (aka: ffm) about changing the name of my laptop and the color of my "XO guy" - the XO icon you see when you use the OLPC laptop.
He explained that to change both, its best just to erase the XO config file, and then restart your XO - it would prompt you at startup for new names and colors. Graciously, Luke agreed to make a How To video, so we can all experiment with XO laptop colors and names:In case we spoke too quickly, you need to go to the terminal activity and erase the config file with this command:
- rm .sugar/default/config
But what if you want to get even more radical than that? Say replacing the XO figure with a whole other image? Over on the OLPC News Forums we have a HowTo just for you:
- you can make a SVG icon with the help of this tutorial
- once you've got your icon ready save it as 'computer-xo.svg', and put it on a USB drive/SD.
- open up terminal and type [on one line each]:
- su -l
- cp /usr/share/icons/sugar/scalable/device/computer-xo.svg /usr/share/icons/sugar/scalable/device/computer-xo.svg.bak
- cp /media/[your usb or sd]/computer-xo.svg /usr/share/icons/sugar/scalable/device/computer-xo.svg
- then close terminal and press ctrl,alt,erase.