Acoustic Tape Measure activity
Do you see that little dolphin on your XO laptop desktop and wonder what activity that could be? Does the idea of a "acoustic tape measure" excite the child in your
heart life? Well there is a step-by-step tutorial on the OLPC wiki that leads you through the activity:
- launch the Distance activity on one of the XOs by clicking on the icon on the activity taskbar;
- Send an invitation to the other XO;
- launch the Distance activity on the second XO by clicking on the invitation icon on the activity taskbar;
- click on the "Begin Measuring Distance" button found near the top of the activity view on both XOs;
- the first XO will send an audio pulse; the second XO will respond with an audio pulse of its own; then both XOs will calculate and display the distance between them in meters;
- this process will repeat until you click on the "Stop Measuring Distance" button or you exit the activity.
While this activity is way-cool, it does require two XO laptops and the tutorial does not capture the real fun of the activity - the sound. So at the last OLPC Learning Club DC
meeting, we made a Acoustic Tape Measure video
for your education and enjoyment:
Now that you're all excited about hissing laptops spanning a conference room, I have a great opportunity for you to practice the activity with other co-learners: the March OLPC LC-DC meetup
is this Saturday, hosted by Kevin Cole at Gallaudet University in DC.
What: Family XO Mesh Meetup
When: Saturday, March 22nd, 2008, 10 am to 1pm
Where: Gallaudet University [map], Student Union Building, Lower Level [floorplan],
Flexible Room L040 and L041, Washington, D.C. 20002
The agenda is still coming together, but expect continued access to expert advice, technical support and mesh networking with other XO users, especially other Acoustic Tape Measurers.