Last year, One Laptop Per Child/South Carolina launched a XO laptop pilot project at Britton's Neck Elementary in Marion School District Seven and Rains Centenary Early Childhood Center in Mullins, with 500 computers and an over-riding goal: one XO learning laptop per South Carolinian school child.
Now, a year later, One Laptop Per Child/South Carolina is a huge step closer to their goal with 2,300 laptops deployed at 14 schools across the state through a partnership between the South Carolina Department of Education and the Palmetto Project, funded with donations from Greenville executive Erwin Maddrey and Charleston philanthropist Linda Ketner, as well as a $500,000 donation from Blue Cross Blue Shield.
Here are the South Carolina schools that will be getting XO this school year:
- Chester Park Technology Center, Chester
- Mountain View Elementary, Taylors
- India Hook Elementary, Rock Hill
- Buffalo Elementary, Buffalo
- Foster Park Elementary, Union
- Monarch Elementary, Union
- Sandy Run Elementary, Swansea
- Vance-Providence Elementary, Vance
- North Vista Elementary, Florence
- Rice Creek Elementary, Columbia
- Port Royal Elementary, Port Royal
- North Charleston Elementary, North Charleston
OLPC South Carolina plans to order another 5,000 units by this fall and as many as 50,000 by spring 2012 to get the same results as expressed in this video from Britton's Neck Elementary: